Being a longtime fan of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander, naturally I was completely out-of-this-world ecstatic when Starz jumped on board and made the hit television series. And they have yet to disappoint. I crave Saturday nights. I am a little girl in a candy store, with unlimited choices, my daddy’s credit card, and no chance of gaining weight, or diabetes. And I am not alone.
Millions of viewers scurry to their televisions to jump in on the action. Most of them are also longtime fans, however there is a good percentage that are new to the Outlander world – the Virgins. How lucky for them, right? But of these Outlander newbies, even after 7 glorious episodes, many have still not picked up that epic bible of greatness – the book. I want to shake these people; knock some sense into them. I want to scream into their ear “you have not earned the right to love this story!” After all, Outlander is personal. But instead I hold back fists, bite my tongue, and write blog entries about the top reasons why one should STILL read the book.
1. Getting back to the roots – Let’s not forget the origins of this story, which all began 20+ years ago when a university professor, and mother of 3, wanted to write a book for practice. And look what that bloomed into – a NYT bestselling series, with over 20+ million copies sold! That’s almost the size of the population of Australia, and bigger than the populations of most countries. Entire countries cannot be wrong, people!
2. Devotion – I think it’s commonplace to say that books are better than movies/TV, and this is no exception. Don’t get me wrong. The TV show is 100% certified 10-star rating. But the book? The book is 11 stars. Think of it as spending hours, closed off from the real world, enjoying the long-term relationship that is Outlander. It’s like a commercial for ultimate pleasure: “Outlander, take me away.”
3. Supplementary Jamie – This speaks for itself. Can we really ever get enough of that redheaded hunk-O-love? I think not. Read the book and you get full access to ALL Jamie-isms. You get to mold him, devour him, implant him into your………imaginations (don’t get too carried away here).
4. Beyond book 1 – Just to do a little namedropping: Brianna, Roger, Lord John, William, Young Ian, Stephen Bonnet. The Virgins won’t know who these people are. Yet. Pick up book 1, and then keep on truckin’. You’ll soon discover there is an even bigger world outside Jamie and Claire that is just as lovely. Did somebody say Season 2? Why yes, yes they did.
5. Join the conversation – Read the book AND watch the show. Be amongst hundreds of fan sites and groups that discuss this stuff in detail. Dissect, analyze, scrutinize, praise; be one of the “cool” kids. Some favorite places to visit:
Outlander Addiction Facebook Page
My Outlander Purgatory
Ok, so if none of the above reasons were convincing enough, keep in mind that we are just about done with the first half of season 1, and now must wait months to feed our addiction once again. What better way to bide the time than to immerse yourself into the original prodigy? Fill that void. Do yourself a favor. I promise, you will not be disappointed. -OA
And don’t forget to continue watching Outlander on Starz, resuming Spring 2015!